Last week my family celebrated the Jewish holiday, Rosh Hashana!
Even Elmo celebrates the big event!
I normally host (see last years debacle here) dinner, but this year we spent it with friends. Thank you for the scrumptious food Sigel’s!
Leading up to RH, Sarah and I made traditional honey cakes.
We made two different recipes this year. One was completely from scratch and one was semi-homemade. Both tasted really good and sweet!
1 pkg Duncan Hines® Yellow cake
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups applesauce
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped chopped apples
Sliced apples for the top
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Grease and flour Bundt pan.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, applesauce, melted butter and cinnamon in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Stir in diced apples. Pour into pan.
- Place sliced apples on top.
- Bake at 375 °F for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Cool completely.
Best Apple Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tsp vanilla sugar
6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 6 to 8 apples)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbs sugar
Confectioners’ sugar, optional
- Combine the first three ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Combine oil and orange juice and add alternately with dry ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until smooth; add vanilla and beat well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Arrange half the apples over the batter. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle half over the apples. Top with remaining batter, apples and cinnamon/sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 1 hour before removing from pan. Cool, apple side up, on a wire rack. Sprinkle top with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Happy New Year from my family to yours!