Last weekend my family and I participated in The Jewish Federation’s Shabbat 1000 celebration.
Just like last year, we received a Shabbat box in the mail.
- Shabbat candles
- A challah cover with the words “rest” in bold to remind us that Shabbat is day of rest. Printed on the cover are the 39 melachot or the 39 general categories of labor that are forbidden on Shabbat.
- An updated set of Shabbat cards with inspirational quotes, blessings and recipes, which I used to prepare our special Shabbat dinner.
- A fridge magnet to remind us that Shabbat is always just around the corner.
- A kid friendly tzedakah (charity) box, which Sarah decorated and has already started to fill.
Apricot Chicken Recipe by Lisa Blumenstein
The ingredients: 8 oz apricot jam, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup mayo, diced dried apricots (optional), whole chicken or parts.
- Preheat over to 350
- Grease 9×13 casserole dish
- Mix together ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour sauce to completely cover chicken, cover with foil.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes.
Thank you to The Jewish Federation for the opportunity to celebrate a special Shabbat with our community and for the kit you so generously provided!